Here’s what you need:
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
1 medium red onion, diced
2 gloves of garlic, finely diced
1 lb. of ground turkey, lean ground beef or venison
1 46 ounce can of tomato juice (low sodium, if possible)
1 28 ounce can of Whole tomatoes with juice
1 15 ounce can of Black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 ounce can of REFRIED Black Beans ( 1 cup of water
1 1/2 TBSP chili powder
1 TBSP ground cumin
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
Here’s what you do:
1. Saute the red and green bell pepper, red onion and garlic in olive oil over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes.
2. Add ground turkey, beef or venison to the saute mixture and cook until done.
3. Add beans, refried beans, water, chili powder, cumin and tomato juice continue simmering.
4. Use kitchen scissors to cut whole tomatoes into smaller, bite-sized pieces, adding to chili mixture along with juice when finished .
5. Simmer for 20 -30 minutes and enjoy.
Options and Substitutions
– add jalapeno to spice it up
– use cerrano peppers instead of bell peppers
– top with diced pepper
– top with avocado pieces
Let us know what you think!!